Click here to go to the NEW Apnea Board Forum
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
NOTICE:
Apnea Board has moved to our NEW FORUM HOME.

New registrations on this old forum have been disabled. Read about it HERE.

While you may still read and SEARCH messages here at this old forum, we encourage you to REGISTER for a new member account on our new forum today!

CLICK HERE to register for an account on our new forum now!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Danger of CPAP Machines
Topic Started: Oct 16 2011, 09:27 PM (4,883 Views)
johnomg
No Avatar
Hi All,

I was trolling through the Internet and came across some information on eHow. In particular I did not realise that while rare, Meningitis was a possible danger.

Here is the article in full:
Danger of CPAP Machines
CPAP, or Continuous Positive Airway Pressure, is used to treat obstructive sleep apnea and severe snoring. CPAP machines force pressurized air through a hose and mask in order to open up the airways and improve breathing during sleep. Many CPAP users experience a number of problems when beginning treatment, and some worry that CPAP machines pose serious health risks. In most cases, any problems or side effects from CPAP use disappear with continued treatment, or with adjustments to the type of mask used or the amount of pressurized air the machine delivers.

Nasal Congestion, Sore Throat, Allergy Symptoms
Nasal congestion, dry eyes, nosebleeds, headaches and sore throats are some of the most commonly reported side effects of early treatment with CPAP. When these symptoms are severe, there is an increased risk of throat infections, sinus infections and conjunctivitis. Adjustments to pressure settings and the addition of a humidifier to the CPAP machine will help alleviate these symptoms. A saline nasal spray is also useful at preventing nasal congestion when used at bedtime. In rare cases, severe nosebleeds may occur following CPAP use. These require medical attention.

Skin Irritation and Sores
Skin irritation can occur if a CPAP mask is not kept clean or does not fit properly. Sores may develop on the face that may become infected if left untreated. Adjustments to the straps or pads of the CPAP mask and regularl cleanings can help prevent rashes and sores from developing. Most masks can be washed in warm, soapy water. However, it is important to read your CPAP instruction manual carefully for proper cleaning and maintenance instructions.

Risk of Suffocation
Choking sensations or a fear of suffocation cause many apnea patients to discontinue CPAP therapy. CPAP masks are designed to improve breathing, and they do not pose any risk of suffocation when used as directed. The fear of suffocation typically results from anxiety, claustrophobic feelings, or a poorly fitting mask. Moreover, most masks include carbon dioxide ventilation holes, which enable it to be filtered out of the mouth and through the mask in the event the machine loses power. Using a different type of mask or performing relaxation techniques before bed can help alleviate anxiety.

Increased Risk of Meningitis
One potentially fatal danger of CPAP use is the development of meningitis. Meningitis is a bacterial infection of the lining of the spinal cord and brain. This complication is very rare, but is potentially fatal. Meningitis associated with CPAP use nearly always results from an untreated sinus infection. Symptoms of meningitis, such as severe headache, sensitivity to light, sleepiness, confusion, vision changes, stiff neck, high fever and vomiting, are considered a medical emergency.

Considerations
Excluding surgical options, CPAP therapy is the most effective means of treatment for obstructive sleep apnea, a condition that affects approximately 12 million American men and women. The American Academy of Otolaryngology states that CPAP use eliminates nearly all apnea episodes when used properly and continuously. Without effective treatment, sleep apnea can lead to high blood pressure, memory problems, cardiovascular disease, headaches, impotency and weight gain.

I'm not sure how accurate the information is but it made an interesting read for me.

Cheers
John
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

zonk
Member Avatar

Definitely not danger , side effects may be for some but it could be avoided or at least minimized with proper care .
I have not heard of anyone died from meningitis or suffocation while on CPAP therapy .

johnomg
No Avatar
zonk
Oct 16 2011, 11:38 PM
I have not heard of anyone died from meningitis or suffocation while on CPAP therapy .
Hi zonk,

That's because "Dead people tell no tales".

The same as you never hear about Bad Doctor's, they "Bury their mistakes"

Cheers
John
:way-too-happy:

archangle
Member Avatar

johnomg
Oct 16 2011, 09:27 PM
Moreover, most masks include carbon dioxide ventilation holes, which enable it to be filtered out of the mouth and through the mask in the event the machine loses power.

Whoever wrote that doesn't know anything about CPAP. (johnomg was quoting someone, not writing that himself.)

When the machine fails, you breathe through your mouth if you have a nasal mask, or if it's a full face mask, you have an anti-asphyxia valve.
Edited by archangle, Oct 17 2011, 12:07 AM.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP treatment.
Get the free SleepyHead software here.

Gustave
Member Avatar

Hi everyone, :Hi:

It's an interesting article, Johnomg, but I believe also that the CPAP therapy brings more benefits than risk to health ...! Except sometimes side effects...Hi Hi Hi!
I have a CPAP with a nasal mask since 11 years and I do not follow dead yet ... or suffocation, or meningitis! I am well and better than before to have my CPAP! :I-Love-CPAP:

"Au revoir!"

Gustave

zonk
Member Avatar

johnomg
Oct 17 2011, 12:00 AM
zonk
Oct 16 2011, 11:38 PM
Hi zonk,

That's because "Dead people tell no tales".

The same as you never hear about Bad Doctor's, they "Bury their mistakes"

Cheers
John
:way-too-happy:
Hi john
Dr Patel better known as Dr death did just that .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayant_Patel

zonk
Member Avatar

johnomg
Oct 16 2011, 09:27 PM
I'm not sure how accurate the information is but it made an interesting read for me.

I,m not sure either . Thanks for sharing it would make an interesting discussion .
Cheers .

johnomg
No Avatar
Hi archangle,

My Boo Boo, I forgot to post the link to the article, thanks for reminding me:
www.ehow.com/about_5340594_danger-cpap-machines.html

It has References and Resources listed there if anyone wants to look further into it.

What I did find even more interesting is this other article there:
www.ehow.com/facts_5661524_dangers-cpap.html

What struck me about this one is this: "Related Searches: Groin Rash". With all the talk about Sex and CPAP on here I thought it might have some merit, then again maybe someone is just putting their mask on the wrong body part ... lol

Hi Gustave,

I tend to agree with you, the benefits I get outweigh my Nasal Congestion hassles.

Hi zonk,

That's the problem (as archangle sort of said) with sites that rely on User Contributions, they look like facts to the Average Joe but there is no guarantee about the accuracy of what you are being told.

Cheers
John

zonk
Member Avatar

johnomg
Oct 17 2011, 01:55 AM
What struck me about this one is this: "Related Searches: Groin Rash". With all the talk about Sex and CPAP on here I thought it might have some merit, then again maybe someone is just putting their mask on the wrong body part ... lol

:rolling-laugh: :too-funny:

bobg1946
Member Avatar

I guess that would give a new meaning to a B-J!
Bob. G

Ltmedic66
Member Avatar

Actually, I think this is a pretty realistic list of CPAP potential complications. Regarding what seems to be the two most controversial issues:

1. Suffocation: The author makes it pretty clear that he is talking about a fear of suffocation, not actual suffocation. He also makes it pretty clear that the masks (actually, the machines also...) have built in features to avoid suffocation. If the boards are any indication, it seems that one of the most common problems people have when starting CPAP is feeling like they are suffocating with the mask on.

2. Meningitis: This seems completely plausible. An untreated sinus infection can indeed lead to meningitis as the infection spreads to the brain or spine (and ear infection can do the same thing). CPAP "could" increase this risk since the positive pressure in the sinuses would make transferring the infection more likely. Again, the author made it completely clear that this is exceedingly rare.

So, overall, I'd say that this is a reasonable list.

zonk
Member Avatar

Every thing is plausible and nothing without risks even crossing the street . I suppose it is ok to mention the dangers of catching Meningitis from CPAP but sometimes the scaremongering is done by surgeons or dentists who promote surgery as first choice treatment to OSA . I think one of the reason this forum and others exists because of the failure of sleep professionals in their duty of care to their patients in helping the struggling ones and the quitters . Prevention is better than cure .

zonk
Member Avatar

Increased Risk of Meningitis
One potentially fatal danger of CPAP use is the development of meningitis. Meningitis is a bacterial infection of the lining of the spinal cord and brain. This complication is very rare, but is potentially fatal. Meningitis associated with CPAP use nearly always results from an untreated sinus infection.

How rare is it ?
As i have mentioned these problems can be avoided with proper care and prevention is better than a cure . keeping the equipment (water chamber , masks , Hoses and filters) squeaky clean is very important and when it comes to CPAP "cleanliness is next to godliness" . It is just like washing one,s hand after toilets or before eating or even doctors washing their hands between each patient and how many doctors do that .

Ltmedic66
Member Avatar

Well, partially. People get sinus infections all the time, for reasons other than CPAP. I think the point is that CPAP can (and that's can...the chances are debatable) increase the risks of a sinus infection progressing to meningitis. The idea is that the pressure of CPAP can push the bugs further than they would normally go.

zonk
Member Avatar

Ltmedic66
Oct 20 2011, 09:14 PM
Well, partially. People get sinus infections all the time, for reasons other than CPAP. I think the point is that CPAP can (and that's can...the chances are debatable) increase the risks of a sinus infection progressing to meningitis. The idea is that the pressure of CPAP can push the bugs further than they would normally go.
I have just seen Contagion this afternoon a very good movie by Steven Soderberg about the outbreak of deadly virus spreading worldwide . It is a cautionary tale how viruses easily it can spread between people and it is very plausible scenario especially in our modern society with airliners and so on .

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Click here to go to the Old Apnea Board Forum Archives · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Click here to go to the Wiki Home

Click here to read our Privacy Policy

Follow ApneaBoard on Twitter

Copyright ApneaBoard.com - All Rights Reserved

Please help us if can

Apnea Board is an educational web site and we survive on the kindness of our members.

If you have benefited from our online CPAP setup instructions, manuals or the forum,

Please consider making a small donation to help pay for our increased bandwidth costs.

Click on the button below to donate using your credit card. (you do not need a PayPal account to use your credit card):

Donate to Apnea Board
Donate to Apnea Board

If you would rather donate by cash or check, please click on the button below:

Donate to Apnea Board by Cash or Check

www.ApneaBoard.com

The Apnea Board web site, forums, images, CPAP manuals & glossary are funded by member donations.