Click here to go to the NEW Apnea Board Forum
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
NOTICE:
Apnea Board has moved to our NEW FORUM HOME.

New registrations on this old forum have been disabled. Read about it HERE.

While you may still read and SEARCH messages here at this old forum, we encourage you to REGISTER for a new member account on our new forum today!

CLICK HERE to register for an account on our new forum now!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Can I go without my humidifier tank?; ResMed h5i S9
Topic Started: May 21 2011, 11:46 PM (5,707 Views)
apickett80
No Avatar
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I have had my Cpap machine since last September and have always used my humidifier tank. Well..I have been staying with a family member for the past month and now that I'm home and getting ready for bed, I noticed I left my humidifier tank at their house and I don't have an extra one..eeek. Can I just not use it? I don't want the machine to burn up or anything..kinda worried. Thanks in advance.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

zonk
Member Avatar

Absolutely as long as you detach the machine from the humidifier and use the machine without the humidifier (attach the hose directly to the machine )

apickett80
No Avatar
Oh my gosh! lol Ummm, as you can tell I'm still pretty new to this. I didn't even realize I could hook it up to the machine itself, but I just went in there and did it..I just thought the machine came apart for easy transportation..I'm such a goof ball. Thank you so very very much! I'm so tired and was so worried..haha!

Steven
Member Avatar

The humidifier is a comfort attachment & is not necessary to operate the CPAP itself.

Some people never use a humidifier.

Every person is different, but you may find that you do NOT need to use the humidifier all of the time.

moeschmoe
Member Avatar

You're not a goofball. The person who sold you the machine IS, for not explaining these things to you.

zonk
Member Avatar

moeschmoe
May 23 2011, 08:31 PM
You're not a goofball. The person who sold you the machine IS, for not explaining these things to you.

Totally agree , i have not been told much and the machine user guide is not any help either .

Yaatri
Member Avatar
As others have pointed out, the machine will work without the humidifier. Whether you will find it comfortable or not, is a different matter. I have never used mine without the humidifier at home. When mine runs out of water, I wake up, which is quite frequent at pressure of 20cm.
I have taken a number of trips without my humidifier. My experience has been varied.
On a flight from Los Angeles to Sydney, Australia, I used my CPAP without the humidifier. As it is the air in the plane is dry. I was not very comfortable.

On a trip to Malaysia, I did not take my humidifier, thinking that it will be quite humid there as monsoons had already started. I did not have A/C in the room and not having a humidifier was not a negative. I managed quite well without the humidifier.

On a trip to Chisianau, Moldova, via Bucharest Romania, I decided not to take my humidifier, as I wanted to travel light. I ended up staying in Chisianau longer than I had planned. It was very cold in Moldova at the time and the heat in the apartment I had rented was hot water radiator kind of heat, which was very dry. I took 4 towels, soaked them with water and put them on the radiator to humidify the room. I was quite comfortable without the humidifier.

Finally, on a trip to Cambodia, without my humidifier. With the A/C on in the room, I could not sleep on the first night as the air was very dry. I turned the A/C off and I was fine, as it's quite humid in South East Asia. Since A/C rooms costs 50% more than on without A/C. I switched to one without A/C. It was much more pleasant to sleep in a non A/C room.

Moral of the story is that if the amount of humidity in the air is at the level you can tolerate, you can manage fine without the humidifier. Otherwise, you are SOL.
Edited by Yaatri, Jun 1 2011, 12:31 AM.

Steven
Member Avatar

I seldom use the "heat" on my humidifier (even in the winter). I probably used it only 5 nights this past winter. That is a lot for me & I only used it that often because of severe nasal congestion (I used the Afrin nasal spray too long.)
I usually do not use the "heat" even in the winter.

The rest of the time, I use my humidifier at home only in passover mode (NO heat). The humidity where I live is quite high (can reach into the mid 90% humidity). The humidity of course is lower in the winter, but still high enough for me without heat.

When I travel for only 1 to 4 nights, I do not bother to bring my humidifier which allows me to not have to carry the heat plate which makes just the CPAP much lighter. That length of time without my humidifier does not seem to affect me in any way. But, as I said, I usually use it only in passover mode anyway.

I am leaving on a trip this Saturday for 7 nights to Madison Wisconsin & have not yet decided whether or not I will bring my humidifier since this is a longer trip. I am leaning towards not bringing it. Besides just the CPAP by itself being lighter, going through airport security would be easier if I have to take the CPAP out. But, others have said that some airports no longer require that you remove the CPAP. I will find out.

I guess I should check what the humidity in Madison is this time of the year.
Edited by Steven, Jun 1 2011, 11:56 AM.

jeffy1958
Member Avatar

Steven

Humidity levels are suppose to be miserable Friday and then the weather turns great for the week end. Should be great when you get here Sturday, and Sunday. However; this being Wisconsin, that will change in 5 minutes.

Hope your trip and stay are great.

Please go to 717 Flora Lane and hit my brother-in-law (Joe, the subject of: http://s7.zetaboards.com/Apnea_Board/topic/8472677/) upside the head. He is still in denial about his Apnea. I saw my sister Easter and she said his snoring is worse, and she has watched him and he does stop breathing!!!
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Apnea_Board/topic/8469114/
How To Get The Perfect Mask Fit

http://s7.zetaboards.com/Apnea_Board/topic/8436280/
How important is Quality Sleep to your heart

What The Mind Can Conceive and Believe - The Body Will Achieve
Positive Attitude = Positive Results / Negative Attitude = Negative Results

Steven
Member Avatar

jeffy1958
Jun 2 2011, 09:44 PM
Steven

Humidity levels are suppose to be miserable Friday and then the weather turns great for the week end. Should be great when you get here Sturday, and Sunday. However; this being Wisconsin, that will change in 5 minutes.

Hope your trip and stay are great.

Please go to 717 Flora Lane and hit my brother-in-law (Joe, the subject of: http://s7.zetaboards.com/Apnea_Board/topic/8472677/) upside the head. He is still in denial about his Apnea. I saw my sister Easter and she said his snoring is worse, and she has watched him and he does stop breathing!!!
What % humidity do you call miserable?
And what % humidity is the average there (Day & Night)?

Wouldn't your brother-in law be surprised if I showed up & identified myself as the "CPAP Police"! That would probably take his breath away.

« Previous Topic · Click here to go to the Old Apnea Board Forum Archives · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Click here to go to the Wiki Home

Click here to read our Privacy Policy

Follow ApneaBoard on Twitter

Copyright ApneaBoard.com - All Rights Reserved

Please help us if can

Apnea Board is an educational web site and we survive on the kindness of our members.

If you have benefited from our online CPAP setup instructions, manuals or the forum,

Please consider making a small donation to help pay for our increased bandwidth costs.

Click on the button below to donate using your credit card. (you do not need a PayPal account to use your credit card):

Donate to Apnea Board
Donate to Apnea Board

If you would rather donate by cash or check, please click on the button below:

Donate to Apnea Board by Cash or Check

www.ApneaBoard.com

The Apnea Board web site, forums, images, CPAP manuals & glossary are funded by member donations.