Click here to go to the NEW Apnea Board Forum
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
NOTICE:
Apnea Board has moved to our NEW FORUM HOME.

New registrations on this old forum have been disabled. Read about it HERE.

While you may still read and SEARCH messages here at this old forum, we encourage you to REGISTER for a new member account on our new forum today!

CLICK HERE to register for an account on our new forum now!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
EPR ResMed S9; difference between patient and clinical settings & EPR Inhale
Topic Started: Apr 7 2011, 02:14 PM (10,170 Views)
Skippy
No Avatar
my resmed s9 elite is set so that the patient can set the EPR at levels 1, 2, 3 or off. However under the settings for EPR in the main menu it shows different settings for the EPR. Mine is set on medium for exhale. patient and full time. When I turn the EPR off under the patient menu it still feels like it is on EPR. Does anyone know if there are two separate settings for EPR and does one override the other? I am having a terrible time finding info about my machine, I went to the CPAP clinic at my physicians office yesterday and the tech seems even less knowledgeable than me. I tried the medical supply place today and she couldn't answer my questions either.
Thanks
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SuperSleeper
Member Avatar

Hi jurameky and welcome to Apnea Board!

Yes, there are two possibilities for setting EPR, one is the "master menu" settings within what's called the "Clinician Setup Mode". The other is the Patient Menu.

The Clinician Menu options can override the Patient Menu settings. To learn how to get into and change the Clinician Menu options on a ResMed S9 CPAP machine, go here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/ResMed/ResMed-S9-CPAP-Setup.html

Also, you can request the complete Clinician Manual for your machine by following the directions on this page:

http://www.apneaboard.com/CPAP%20Adjustment.htm

If both your Clinician and Patient Menus have your EPR turned off, and you're still feeling like it's on, something may be wrong with your machine.

If you have further questions or issues, please ask!

:)
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

DONATE to Apnea Board

Change your own pressure - Get the Clinician Setup Manual for your CPAP here

Skippy
No Avatar
thanks for the quick reply. I am still a little confused, if the main menu shows the EPR setting at exhale "medium" what happens when I change the EPR in the patient mode? (the 1,2,3 off settings) Are they two different functions? How does one know which setting you are actually using? Also what does the full time setting mean? I dont want to change something in the clinicians mode if I am not sure what I am changing and why.

SuperSleeper
Member Avatar

It is somewhat confusing, I agree... :bug-eyed: I think you're mixing up two separate features:

With regard to turning the EPR off or on: With the option to set EPR to Off, Ramp Only, or Full Time, this has nothing to do with the level of EPR. Rather, it is whether the EPR is turned off, turned on only during your "ramp time", or turned on at all times.

On the levels of EPR:
In the Clinician Setup Menu, you can set the "master" EPR Level of Off, 1, 2, 3 or PATIENT (meaning it's configurable by the patient).

If the EPR in the Clinician Menu is set to "PATIENT", then you will be able to change EPR settings from within the Patient Menu system to whatever you like. If it's set to either OFF, 1, 2, or 3 from within the Clinician Menu, there is no option in the Patient Menu to change those Clinician-settings.

I always set my machine within the Clinician Menu to "PATIENT" - that way I can easily change my own EPR settings without getting into the Clinician Setup Menu.

On the EPR Inhale Rate: There is a completely different setting called "EPR inhale" which is set to either medium or fast. "Fast" means the full pressure happens almost instantly as you start to breathe in again. An instant jump up to full pressure again can feel quite strong for some users. "Medium" means that when you start to inhale, the machine moves up more slowly to full pressure, instead of jumping to full pressure.

Once you get all your other settings the way you like them, you can "mess around with" the EPR inhale rate to see which is more comfortable for you... I don't think setting it for medium or fast will affect your overall therapy much - it's mostly a comfort feature, where personal preference rules.

You can read a bit more about EPR and these things from this ResMed PDF file:

http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/technology/epr/fact_sheet/1012764_epr_fact-sheet_row_eng.pdf

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

DONATE to Apnea Board

Change your own pressure - Get the Clinician Setup Manual for your CPAP here

zonk
Member Avatar

These information should be available in the user,s guide/manual and not referred if it is enabled by the clinician .

Skippy
No Avatar
thanks again, I am so grateful for this forum. I watched the review video, it was very helpful. Then I went through each function in the clinician mode and just looked at the options and it is not so intimidating now. I used the EPR one night and it was the worst night of use with my CPAP so I am just leaving it off for now. The tech at my doctors office raised my pressure from 10 to 12 even though the previous 2 nights of use my AHI was under 10. (7 and 4.3) but he downloaded the data from the memory card and felt this was necessary. I would have preferred to try going up in 1 level increments, my AHI last night was 11. I am going to keep at it and see what happens... hopefully I will get it figured out soon.

zonk
Member Avatar

I,m also grateful to this forum ,i have become compliant with the therapy by taking active role in my treatment as informed patient is a compliant one .your machine is one the best one available in the compliance dept with its comfort features EPR , Ramp ,humidifier @climate control which you need to experiment to find what best works for you as every one is different and useful display of overnight data in the LCD screen. you probably already know to view the overnight data that by pushing and holding the info @ setup buttons for 3 sec ,it shows the setting of the clinical menu and by rotating the push dial it shows the overnight data ,breakdown of AHI (Ai ,HI,Ca), 95% percentile leak @pressure ,usage ....i had to try several masks to find one that is least leaky and comfortable to keep it on all night every night .a long journey usually start with a single step ,keep it up it will get better .

Skippy
No Avatar
thanks for the encouragement! It is good to hear that the treatment is working well for you

« Previous Topic · Click here to go to the Old Apnea Board Forum Archives · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Click here to go to the Wiki Home

Click here to read our Privacy Policy

Follow ApneaBoard on Twitter

Copyright ApneaBoard.com - All Rights Reserved

Please help us if can

Apnea Board is an educational web site and we survive on the kindness of our members.

If you have benefited from our online CPAP setup instructions, manuals or the forum,

Please consider making a small donation to help pay for our increased bandwidth costs.

Click on the button below to donate using your credit card. (you do not need a PayPal account to use your credit card):

Donate to Apnea Board
Donate to Apnea Board

If you would rather donate by cash or check, please click on the button below:

Donate to Apnea Board by Cash or Check

www.ApneaBoard.com

The Apnea Board web site, forums, images, CPAP manuals & glossary are funded by member donations.