Click here to go to the NEW Apnea Board Forum
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
NOTICE:
Apnea Board has moved to our NEW FORUM HOME.

New registrations on this old forum have been disabled. Read about it HERE.

While you may still read and SEARCH messages here at this old forum, we encourage you to REGISTER for a new member account on our new forum today!

CLICK HERE to register for an account on our new forum now!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Differences in the Resmed S9s
Topic Started: Apr 5 2011, 02:52 AM (3,071 Views)
PaulaO
Member Avatar

I have the S9 Escape which does no recording except of time used.

I know there is also the S9 Elite and the S9 Autoset. What is the difference between the two? Is there somewhere a comparison chart between them all?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

zonk
Member Avatar

this might help with the specifications .
http://www.resmed.com/au/products/s9_series/s9-series.html?nc=dealers

Katie
Member Avatar

Paula if you go to CPAP Supplier #1 on this list, you can look at all the Resmed S9 machines and check the "compare" box to the left then select "Compare Selected" to compare all the features for each model.

Katie

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

DONATE to Apnea Board

Change your own pressure - Get the Clinician Setup Manual for your CPAP here

Steven
Member Avatar

PaulaO
Apr 5 2011, 02:52 AM
I have the S9 Escape which does no recording except of time used.

I know there is also the S9 Elite and the S9 Autoset. What is the difference between the two? Is there somewhere a comparison chart between them all?
I would check out the specifications link that Zonk provided.

But, the basic difference between the Elite & the AutoSet is that the Elite can only be run in straight pressure CPAP mode, whereas the AutoSet can be set to a pressure "range" (i.e. 4 - 20 or any range you prefer).

PaulaO
Member Avatar

That's what I saw on the list, that the only diff between the two was the "autoset". What exactly is that, anyway? Is that were it sets the pressure for you based on your AHI as the night goes on?

I'm tempted to get one on my own. My ins. paid for the Escape which isn't even recording the time used correctly, the only data is tracks.

And Katie, duh. That's where I was looking at them last night and never saw the compare boxes. Yeah, I'm a blonde, bless my heart.

Steven
Member Avatar

PaulaO
Apr 5 2011, 03:18 PM
That's what I saw on the list, that the only diff between the two was the "autoset". What exactly is that, anyway? Is that were it sets the pressure for you based on your AHI as the night goes on?
YOU have to set the range (minumum of 4 & maximum of 20).

Then, depending on how you do at the range you initially set, you can change the miminum or maximum (or both) until you find a range that works for you.

Some people leave the range at the widest range of 4 -20.
Others use a very small range.
While others are in between.

Reading this may help. http://www.apneaboard.com/methods.htm

And this. http://www.apneaboard.com/APAP.htm
Edited by Steven, Apr 5 2011, 04:20 PM.

zonk
Member Avatar

Another thing that the S9 Autoset @ S9 Elite detect Central Sleep Apnea (CSA) while the S9 Escape don,t and it should be made obsolete as its main purpose is to meet insurance requirement and not the patient who is using and paying for the machine .
Edited by zonk, Apr 7 2011, 07:24 PM.

CrohnieToo
No Avatar
If you opt to buy out of pocket, buy online rather than from a local DME provider. Prices are almost always considerably less from online providers. And many give better support and advice than the locals!!!

Yep, the Escape is an entry level, bare bone PAP the local providers LOVE to pawn off on unsuspecting and mistakenly trusting newbies.

The Elite is a fully data capable straight CPAP, it does have the EPR function (exhilation pressure relief).

The AutoSet is like getting two for one, they can be set in straight CPAP mode or they can be used in auto-titrating mode. Most users would strongly disagree w/the 4 cms - 20 cms pressure range so many ignorant sleep doctors prescribe. Very few people can breathe comfortably at only 4 cms w/a mask on. And if the patient had an in-lab PAP titration and just needs their pressure setting "fine tuned" or their titration is a couple of years old and they need some "fine tuning" or adjusting of their pressure the WISE sleep doctor scripts a pressure 1-2 cms below the titrated pressure and just 15 cms for the upper pressure range setting or even just 2 cms to 3 cms above the previously titrated pressure.

Especially for new patients not yet acclimated to PAP therapy that wide-open 4-20 cms pressure range can result in too high pressure due to the APAP chasing mask or mouth leaks.

Finding THE right mask, comfortable and relatively leak free, becomes THE KEY to successful PAP therapy once a pressure need has been established. Getting and keeping mask and mouth leaks under control becomes the next goal. Access to the PAP date is a blessing in accomplishing these goals and becoming successful w/CPAP therapy.

Well .... patience, persistance and a good sense of humor help one heck of a whole lot too.

PaulaO
Member Avatar

I was upgrading from the huge clunky S7 that I'd had for, wow, 6 years? I didn't realize how advanced machines had gotten. I asked for one that recorded data, not realizing they made some that recorded just time used.

zonk
Member Avatar

Quote :"I asked for one that recorded data, not realizing they made some that recorded just time used. "
Your doctor and DME knew but obviously looked after their own interests instead of yours by supplying you with this dumb machine
(talk about patient care !)

PaulaO
Member Avatar

In this case, my doc hadn't a clue. This is all the DME's fault. I am calling them Monday to discuss this.

zonk
Member Avatar

Quote :"In this case, my doc hadn't a clue. This is all the DME's fault. I am calling them Monday to discuss this. "
Good Luck .

« Previous Topic · Click here to go to the Old Apnea Board Forum Archives · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Click here to go to the Wiki Home

Click here to read our Privacy Policy

Follow ApneaBoard on Twitter

Copyright ApneaBoard.com - All Rights Reserved

Please help us if can

Apnea Board is an educational web site and we survive on the kindness of our members.

If you have benefited from our online CPAP setup instructions, manuals or the forum,

Please consider making a small donation to help pay for our increased bandwidth costs.

Click on the button below to donate using your credit card. (you do not need a PayPal account to use your credit card):

Donate to Apnea Board
Donate to Apnea Board

If you would rather donate by cash or check, please click on the button below:

Donate to Apnea Board by Cash or Check

www.ApneaBoard.com

The Apnea Board web site, forums, images, CPAP manuals & glossary are funded by member donations.