Click here to go to the NEW Apnea Board Forum
Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
NOTICE:
Apnea Board has moved to our NEW FORUM HOME.

New registrations on this old forum have been disabled. Read about it HERE.

While you may still read and SEARCH messages here at this old forum, we encourage you to REGISTER for a new member account on our new forum today!

CLICK HERE to register for an account on our new forum now!

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How Many Times Did You Stop Breathing???
Topic Started: Dec 10 2009, 04:51 PM (13,142 Views)
Preacher
Member Avatar
I've been talking with a few other CPAP users and trading stories with them. Most of who I have talked to only quit breathing just a handful of times during the night; like 5 or 6 times. I myself quit breathing 76 times in a 6 hour period for an average of 9 times an hour. They just about pass out when I tell them my numbers because they are much worse than theirs.

I did search here and read where one poster quit breathing over 300 times. My test numbers for my first test was 19.8 during normal sleep which was considered moderate. And my numbers during REM was 55, which was considered severe. But everyone I have talked to had quit breathing during their test less than a dozen times the whole night.

I was just wondering where I fit in the grand scheme of things in the world of OSA. :D
Edited by Preacher, Dec 10 2009, 04:52 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

SuperSleeper
Member Avatar

Hi Preacher and welcome to Apnea Board!

We have to define the terms, as to the specific "numbers" you're talking about. I would venture that the numbers you're listing are your Apnea and Hypopnea numbers. Basically, Apneas are a cessation of breathing for 10 or more seconds during sleep, while Hypopneas are an episode of diminished breathing during sleep, caused by a partial airway obstruction, resulting in arousal. Usually accompanied by oxygen desaturation (lowering of the oxygen level in your blood). Hypopneas may be just as serious as apneas and have the same troublesome effects.

You may want to ask your sleep doctor for a printout of your sleep study, which would give you the pertinent numbers.

Most docs use the Apnea/Hypopnea Index - also called (AHI) or RDI (Respiratory Disturbance Index) This is the total frequency of abnormal respiratory events per hour of sleep. Apneas + Hypopneas = AHI. An AHI of 55 would indicate that the patient is experiencing complete or partial airflow blockage 55 times per hour.

I'm not sure what numbers you're giving, but assuming it's your AHI numbers, below are some guidelines for the Sleep Apnea "levels"...

Keep in mind that there are no conclusive answers for what constitutes mild, moderate or severe Sleep Apnea. There seems to be a degree of consensus on the ranges; however, opinions do vary amongst professionals.

Generally speaking, here's the consensus opinion:

AHI < 5/h = No Sleep Apnea

AHI 5 to < 15/h = Mild Sleep Apnea
- (some say that 5-10 would be called "borderline OSA")

AHI 15 to < 30/h = Moderate Sleep Apnea

AHI > or = 30/h = Severe Sleep Apnea

But don't read too much into the numbers. Your numbers can and will change as your body, age and medical conditions change, and there is quite a bit of variance between various sleep centers, their equipment and ability to accurately determine these numbers. More important is that you get treated and that you feel better.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

DONATE to Apnea Board

Change your own pressure - Get the Clinician Setup Manual for your CPAP here

emartin
No Avatar
two things

first, fyi, when I was first tested, I was told that I averaged 58 sleep interruptions per hour, lasting between 28 and 50 seconds each. My general health was pretty rotten and I had trouble staying awake all the time, as you can imagine.

second, I just registered with emartin as a screen name but I am not a/the preacher. do we have a name overlap?

SuperSleeper
Member Avatar

emartin
Dec 12 2009, 02:04 PM
two things

first, fyi, when I was first tested, I was told that I averaged 58 sleep interruptions per hour, lasting between 28 and 50 seconds each. My general health was pretty rotten and I had trouble staying awake all the time, as you can imagine.

second, I just registered with emartin as a screen name but I am not a/the preacher. do we have a name overlap?
HI emartin and welcome to the forum!

To answer your last question first, the person who started this thread was "Preacher" (not you, as far as I can tell)... it doesn't look like there's a username overlap to me (who knows?).. maybe I'm confused; wouldn't be the first time. Did you write that post above?? If so, maybe there was a software glitch somewhere.

Your 58 sleep interruptions would be indicative of severe sleep apnea, in my opinion. How is your overall health now that you're on CPAP?

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

DONATE to Apnea Board

terrydk
Member Avatar
Preacher
Dec 10 2009, 04:51 PM
I've been talking with a few other CPAP users and trading stories with them. Most of who I have talked to only quit breathing just a handful of times during the night; like 5 or 6 times. I myself quit breathing 76 times in a 6 hour period for an average of 9 times an hour. They just about pass out when I tell them my numbers because they are much worse than theirs.

I did search here and read where one poster quit breathing over 300 times. My test numbers for my first test was 19.8 during normal sleep which was considered moderate. And my numbers during REM was 55, which was considered severe. But everyone I have talked to had quit breathing during their test less than a dozen times the whole night.

I was just wondering where I fit in the grand scheme of things in the world of OSA. :D
My AHI at my sleep study a few weeks ago was 126 :'( Last night was my first night with the ResMed Auto II and in 5 hours last night my results were AI - 10.7, HI - 14.7 & AHI - 25.4. I think that was pretty good for the first night, we will see how tonight goes. ^o)

shelleylou
No Avatar
hi just been looking at your site i have just been confirmed today at having significant sleep apnea with breathing interuptions off 50 times per hour and been put on a waiting list for cpap therapy im 31 yr old female if any one can help me what is cpap

SuperSleeper
Member Avatar

shelleylou
Jan 6 2010, 08:19 AM
hi just been looking at your site i have just been confirmed today at having significant sleep apnea with breathing interuptions off 50 times per hour and been put on a waiting list for cpap therapy im 31 yr old female if any one can help me what is cpap
Hi shelleylou, and welcome to Apnea Board.

CPAP stands for Continuous Positive Airway Pressure.

Here is some basic information on CPAP:

http://www.apneaboard.com/cpap.htm

Also, please read the entire main web page which gives a good intro to Sleep Apnea and the various methods of treatment at:

http://www.ApneaBoard.com

Also, the videos we posted are very helpful for those new to Sleep Apnea & CPAP therapy. Those can be viewed at:

http://www.apneaboard.com/videos.htm

If you have an AHI of 50 times per hour, that is severe Sleep Apnea and you should get treated. You can see the definition of AHI and what it all means in one of the posts I made above this post.

Thanks for joining Apnea Board and if after you look at all that info, you still have questions, please ask and we'll do our best to help out.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

DONATE to Apnea Board

cobra4x4
Member Avatar
I got diagnosed with sleep apnea a few weeks ago, My AHI is 70 which by the looks of it is severe.

I just started using a CPAP machine last night and I was able to use it for just over 5hrs when condensation (rain-out) occured.
I have now taken a few simple steps to try to eliminate this issue for tonight.

I have noticed that I woke up a lot easier this morning which is a good sign for the 1st night.
Edited by cobra4x4, Mar 6 2010, 03:39 PM.

SuperSleeper
Member Avatar

cobra4x4
Mar 6 2010, 03:35 PM
I got diagnosed with sleep apnea a few weeks ago, My AHI is 70 which by the looks of it is severe.

I just started using a CPAP machine last night and I was able to use it for just over 5hrs when condensation (rain-out) occured.
I have now taken a few simple steps to try to eliminate this issue for tonight.

I have noticed that I woke up a lot easier this morning which is a good sign for the 1st night.
Hi cobra4x4, and welcome to Apnea Board -

Yes, I think 70 is severe sleep apnea, for certain. Rainout is very common - try setting the humidity lower - most people have it up way to high, and then raising the temp in your bedroom a couple of degrees.

Good luck.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

DONATE to Apnea Board

cobra4x4
Member Avatar
Thank you.

I had set the humidifier at 2 as recommended in the manual, I've set it to 1 for tonight and placed the tube up high above my pillow.

The biggest cause for rain out here I think is the fact that we sleep with the window open (colder room) and being on the westcoast of canada very close to the ocean.

Should I continue to have rain out issues i'll look into getting a heated tube.
Edited by cobra4x4, Mar 6 2010, 10:04 PM.

cobra4x4
Member Avatar
Update ...

Last night I managed to sleep a full 8hrs with the mask on without having a rain out situation. I hung the tube on a hook about 24" above my pillow height to eliminate the rain out effect.

I did however have a very very sore & red nose this morning which leads me to think that I may need to increase the humidity. Does this sound correct?
I've played around with adjusting the headgear so that its not too tight, but just enough to hold it in place.
What about using some kind of lubricant on the pillows so they aren't rubbing the skin raw?

SuperSleeper
Member Avatar

Quote:

Last night I managed to sleep a full 8hrs with the mask on without having a rain out situation. I hung the tube on a hook about 24" above my pillow height to eliminate the rain out effect.

Good for you!
Quote:

I did however have a very very sore & red nose this morning which leads me to think that I may need to increase the humidity. Does this sound correct?

Very common. You can try increasing the humidity, but using some sort of lubricant, as you were thinking, might help more. I've had similar issues with my nose-pillows system, and have successfully used everything from Carmex, Vasoline and just plain hand lotion - all with pretty much the same positive effect. Some people warn about wearing down the rubber in your nose pillows with certain lubricants... I haven't worried much about that, as I don't have to use lubricant very often, only when my nose gets red or chapped - which is about once every couple of weeks or so. They key for me was to make sure I put a lot on and rubbed it into my nostril areas real good before bedtime.

Also, it is possible that that if you're using a nose-pillows system, it's not quite tight enough against your nostrils - in which case the air escapes out, causing your nose be become irritated.

EDITED to add: Also, if you do use lubricants, be sure to wash out your nasal pillows with soap and water when you wake up in the morning.
Edited by SuperSleeper, Mar 7 2010, 12:06 PM.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

DONATE to Apnea Board

Rogue
No Avatar
My numbers for AHI have been historically low, but that is because I wasn't actually sleeping.
ResMed VPAP III w/Mirage Swift nasal pillow

cobra4x4
Member Avatar
SuperSleeper
Mar 7 2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Very common. You can try increasing the humidity, but using some sort of lubricant, as you were thinking, might help more. I've had similar issues with my nose-pillows system, and have successfully used everything from Carmex, Vasoline and just plain hand lotion - all with pretty much the same positive effect. Some people warn about wearing down the rubber in your nose pillows with certain lubricants... I haven't worried much about that, as I don't have to use lubricant very often, only when my nose gets red or chapped - which is about once every couple of weeks or so. They key for me was to make sure I put a lot on and rubbed it into my nostril areas real good before bedtime.

Also, it is possible that that if you're using a nose-pillows system, it's not quite tight enough against your nostrils - in which case the air escapes out, causing your nose be become irritated.

It has taken 4 nights of adjusting the various straps on my Mirage Swift II to finally get it positioned where I don't end up looking like Rudolph in the morning and with extreme nose pain.

The solution was to loosen the straps all the way then gently tighten them back up to a very light fit on the nose paying particular attention to which nasal cavity was causing the most pain and keeping that side straps a bit looser than the other.

It turned out that I had my nasal mask on way too tight thus causing the pillows to chafe. I am however this weekend going to try the large size pillows instead of my current medium sized one to see if there is a further improvement.
Edited by cobra4x4, Mar 11 2010, 11:33 AM.

SuperSleeper
Member Avatar

Glad to hear you solved this problem, cobra4x4!

I went from the medium to the larger pillows also, which seemed to provide a better seal for me. Guess I have big "nose holes". ;)

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

DONATE to Apnea Board

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Click here to go to the Old Apnea Board Forum Archives · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Click here to go to the Wiki Home

Click here to read our Privacy Policy

Follow ApneaBoard on Twitter

Copyright ApneaBoard.com - All Rights Reserved

Please help us if can

Apnea Board is an educational web site and we survive on the kindness of our members.

If you have benefited from our online CPAP setup instructions, manuals or the forum,

Please consider making a small donation to help pay for our increased bandwidth costs.

Click on the button below to donate using your credit card. (you do not need a PayPal account to use your credit card):

Donate to Apnea Board
Donate to Apnea Board

If you would rather donate by cash or check, please click on the button below:

Donate to Apnea Board by Cash or Check

www.ApneaBoard.com

The Apnea Board web site, forums, images, CPAP manuals & glossary are funded by member donations.